What is Oracle Coherence?
Coherence is a JCache-compliant, in-memory data grid solution that enables organizations to predictably scale mission-critical applications by providing fast access to frequently used data.
Data grid software is middleware that reliably manages data objects in memory across many servers.
- High throughput Performance
- Low response times
- Continuous availability
- Information reliability
- Eliminate bottlenecks
- Local Cache—Local on-heap caching for non-clustered caching.
- Replicated Cache—Perfect for small, read-heavy caches.
- Distributed Cache—True linear scalability for both read and write access. Data is automatically, dynamically and transparently partitioned across nodes. The distribution algorithm minimizes network traffic and avoids service pauses by incrementally shifting data.
- Near Cache—Provides the performance of local caching with the scalability of distributed caching. Several different near-cache strategies are available and offer a trade-off between performance and synchronization guarantees.
Data Storage Options
- On-heap—The fastest option, though it can affect JVM garbage collection times.
- NIO RAM—No impact on garbage collection, though it does require serialization/deserialization.
- NIO Disk—Similar to NIO RAM, but using memory-mapped files.
- File-based—Uses a special disk-optimized storage system to optimize speed and minimize I/O.